Scissett CE Academy believes that Physical Education (PE) is an integral part of our inclusive and engaging curriculum. We believe that it is as essential part of education to ensure that children attain the optimum physical, mental and emotional developmental benefits that high quality PE can provide. Always delivered in a safe, secure environment by qualified teaching staff who are supported by qualified coaches where appropriate, we aim to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities that enable all children to achieve their personal best and develop an understanding of good health and how to maintain this. We also want to teach children how to cooperate and collaborate with others as part of an effective team, understanding fairness and equity of play to embed life-long values. We aim for all children to be physically active for sustained periods of time and be able to make informed decisions to lead healthy and active lives. Swimming is an important life skill and we aspire for all children to leave primary school being able to swim at least 25 metres and recognising how to stay safe around water.
- At Scissett CE Academy, PE provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including; invasion games, net & wall games, strike and field games, gymnastics, dance, swimming and outdoor & adventure.
- Our long-term plan sets out the PE units which are to be taught throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met. This is reviewed annually by the PE coordinators who ensure that children have access to a variety of sports and teaching opportunities throughout their time at our school.
- Every lesson is taught by a qualified teacher who will use and adapt our Power of PE scheme of work to make it accessible for all children, as well as drawing on their own CPD learning through our partnerships with Huddersfield Giants Community Trust and the Shelley Sports Partnership.
- We continue to build strong community links with local providers and coaching companies in order to continually enhance teachers’ knowledge as well as enhance the learning of children. Where possible, we seek to signpost children to local sporting clubs so they can continue their physical activity outside of school.
- Pupils participate in two hours of high-quality PE lessons each week, covering two sporting disciplines every half term. In addition, children are encouraged to participate in the varied range of extra-curricular activities that we provide. On a daily basis, our Sports Crew and Play Leaders encourage and engage children in physical activities at playtimes and lunchtimes.
- Children are invited to attend competitive sporting events within the Shelley Sports Partnership. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also mental well-being. These events also develop teamwork and leadership skills and are very much enjoyed by the children.
- Children participate in workshops covering a variety of sports throughout the year. Our diversity week allows children to explore disability sports and dances from different cultures. Opportunities for Outdoor Adventurous Activities are provided through our residential trips to Cliffe House and Robinwood Activity Centre.
- Annually, we celebrate physical activity and healthy lifestyles by holding our Healthy Happy Week. Children engage in different workshops, activities and sports, and the week is highlighted by our whole-school Sports day.
- Swimming is available to all pupils in Year 4 and is provided by qualified Kirklees Swimming teachers. Children who need extra support with swimming continue to attend school swimming lessons in Year 5.
- We aim to support the government guideline of children being active for 30 minutes during the school day by providing active playtimes and lunchtimes as well as opportunities such as 1K a Day, Supermovers, Joe Wicks 5 Minute Workouts and Wake Up Shake Up.
At Scissett CE Academy, we ensure that our PE curriculum is progressive and allows children to develop fundamental skills and apply them to a variety of sports and activities. All children are provided with the skills and given opportunities to demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best. Our pupils are physically active and this has positive implications on their learning in the classroom. Children understand how to lead a healthy lifestyle and understand the importance of exercise. We hope children enjoy PE and develop a love of sport, and physical activity, that they pursue outside of school and in future life outside of primary school. All pupils understand the values and importance of fair play and being a good sportsperson. Year 5 pupils leave school with the skills to self-rescue in the water and swim 25 metres competently.